The Things They Say About God

The girls and I were eating breakfast this morning when Livvie noticed that the roses they gave me for Mother’s Day were dying. I told them that, yes, unfortunately flowers die; things here on Earth don’t live forever. Then out of the blue Sarah said, “I miss Kitty.” Admitting I missed her to, I asked her what she thought God did for us after Kitty died. “He sent us Tink.” Yep, he sent us Tink, the sweet little stray kitten that appeared under my van one day on campus. This turned into a longer conversation about God and angels and how Kitty is up in Heaven with Mommy’s Mommy and Daddy’s Mommy. Sarah said that we never really die; we just become angels (this out of the mouth of a soon to be six-year-old). And Livvie responded with “Will you still be our Mommy when we are angels?” Me? “I will always, always, always be your Mommy, even when we are angels.” Then Livvie looked outside and said, “Maybe when God made our river, he sat on our dock to rest. I think he sat in the pink chair.” Indeed, he probably did.

We are not a go-to-church-every-Sunday family, but we do believe in God and try to instill that faith and those values in our girls, and sometimes their clarity of it all truly astounds me. I know “they” say the two things you should never bring up in conversation are politics and religion. Oh well, it’s my blog. :-) I don’t care much about politics, but I’m thankful my girls are finding their faith.

9 comments:

Karen Faulkner said...

I, for one, am glad you brought it up! My daughter has told me often about a golden angel she saw slip through the clouds one day. I think children sometimes grasp the concept of faith better because their minds are not so cluttered with logic!

Anonymous said...

Ah...from the mouth of babes! Thanks Livvie and Sarah for reminding me of still how close my mommy is.

OMB said...

What a sweet post. Yes, I do think that children have more faith than we do sometimes. Yes, its your blog and post away!!! Its refreshing to see some religious reflections.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my! Katie and I have such similar conversations! Lately, (I don't know why) Katie says goodnight to me by: "Mom, I never want you to die". I remind her that once you love someone they are with you for eternity. The Good Book says, "whatsoever is bound on earth will be bound in heaven" and I believe this binding ingredient is LOVE. (and because we love our animals so much and truly love them, the same applies)

Fannie said...

amen.

cath c said...

isn't it great how they touch us in surprisingly deep ways?

Cristi Baxter Clothier said...

wonderful post kelly! it kinda brought tears to my eyes. kids are so insightful at times...

AnnieJackDesigns said...

So true... Annie reminds me daily about the simplicity of faith and how comforting it can be. Perhaps that is why we have children; to remind us of the things we lose as we "mature."

Kelly Warren said...

thank you all so much for your comments. it is so true that kids often speak so plainly from the heart and that's possibly one of the greatest things we can learn from them.