Spiral Journal Spread 3: Sewing up a Broken Heart

Spiral Journal Spread 3

I've always felt that what has kept me in my current professional role for so long is the students I work with. My involvement with them is what helps me through the rough spots, even if they never know it. I've added several "adopted daughters" to my family over the years, and one of them suffered a broken heart last week.

I spent about an hour and a half on the phone with her, while my girls kept coming over asking what was wrong. When I tucked the girls into bed that night, I told them that their big sister C had a broken heart and asked them to keep her in their prayers. To that, Olivia responded with concern, "Mama, do I need to go down there and sew up her heart for her?" Oh, if only it were that easy, right? I've been teaching the girls how to sew, so sewing has been in the forefront lately.

I made this journal page in honor of C's broken heart and Livvie's response to it. Sarah suggested I add the "stitches" to the heart on the left side. The heart on the right to me symbolizes her heart in rest, staying just a bit under the covers while she heals.  I love incorporating the sweet things my girls say into my art journals.  Seems like the perfect place to always remember them.   

2 comments:

Lisa Graham said...

What a sweet post. I hope C's heart mends soon. If not, I am sure Livvie could help her.

Fannie said...

Beautiful!